Tools of the TradeThis weekend’s work was more frustrating than fulfilling. After spending a great deal of time priming the exterior of the bank of 3 windows in the kitchen and then giving them a coat of paint, things just didn’t look right.  The paint was trying to separate. It was not adhering to the glazing putty.  So I finally read the directions on the glazing putty only to learn that I should have at least used an oil-based primer (not water-based).  I’d read that in all the tutorials I’ve been following, but apparently that little detail escaped my attention.

So, on Monday, the 4th of July, I was back up on the scaffolding in the very hot sun, pulling the primer and paint off (yep, it just peeled right off) the glazing putty from around the 9 lights which was just a mess, and probably more time consuming than applying it in the first place.

In all of the de-/un-restoration, I was able to strip the paint off the window in the privy, get the glass out of the 4 lights and apply a coat of primer inside and out.  I did, however, manage to break two panes of glass (one from the bathroom and one from the kitchen).  It’s not the first ones to be broken and means that I’ve got a “list” of glass sizes to taken to the local hardware to be cut.

I have lost count of the hours spent on windows so far. Needless to say it is only a drop in the bucket to the number of hours yet to be spent.  I am striving toward the feeling of utter celebration when at least a few windows are completely restored. I know it’s going to happen, but it sure seems to be out of reach. In the meantime, I am developing a routine of sorts – what to do, and what NOT to do, on window restoration.  Some lessons are not easy learned.

One step forward and two steps back seems to be the theme of our adventures in restoration of the farmhouse.

Advertisements